Monday, March 9, 2009

my new veggie garden

Beau and I are now the proud operators of three Earthboxes. After hanging out with some friends Saturday night and seeing their amazing vegetables growing out of their earthboxes, I was totally inspired to start my own! I love the concept of 1) Going into my backyard to get my vegetables as fresh as they can possibly be, 2) Knowing what is being used to make them grow and keep pests off of them, 3) Saving money by growing it myself, 4) Being able to pick my vegetable garden up and relocate it (rather than it being planted in the ground) and 5) Having a productive project for Beau and I.

Our 'crop' for the year includes Red Leaf Lettuce (could not find romaine anywhere), Grape Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes. Cucumber, Zucchini, Rosemary, Basil (replanted from a pot), and Italian Parsley. For the last few months I have had a Cilantro and Basil plant and loved getting fresh herbs from it rather than buying from the store and being in a rush to use them before they went bad. I'll be honest, I don't get an award for gardening as my herbs would not have placed in the top 15 at a local fair. Hopefully the vegetables will turn out better! Thanks Ben & Cara for doing the research and providing the great ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment