Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spaghetti Squash

I love spaghetti squash. I was first introduced to it during the Atkins Diet era, but I have learned to really like it a lot, especially as an alternative to the heaviness of pasta. It is relatively easy to make, and in my opinion, worth the extra effort.

Take a Spaghetti Squash and prick holes in it all over with a fork. It is going to be tough on the outside, that's okay.

Next you can do one of two things, put it in the microwave in a shallow bowl of water to soften it up enough to cut it in half or or put it whole onto a baking sheet in the oven.

Bake it at 375 degrees for about 45 - 60 minutes depending upon the size of the squash. You will start to see the skin change color in patches and what looks like syrup escaping from the fork holes.

Take it out of the oven, (cut in half if you stuck it in the oven without microwaving) and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper for seasoning.

Take a fork and scrape the insides out long-ways. It should come out looking like strands of spaghetti.

I like it with a chunky pasta sauce, fresh grated parm and glass of whatever milder red I have on hand. If you wanted it more substantial, you can toss some rosemary grilled chicken over it, though my husband has been known to fill up on the squash alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment