Friday, March 6, 2009

the things you find on Palm Beach

Last night Beau and I went to the Palm Beach Steakhouse for dinner. We had never been before but were given a gift certificate and Beau thought it would be fun to try it out. Yes, it was Beau's idea. I expected prententiousness but instead got Greek night, complete with a packed out house which resembled the stereotypical early-bird hour. The hostess was extremely friendly which is always a nice way to start out a meal! We were given an option of two different sides of the restaurant which was great because one said was way loud as a result of the live music. Food took awhile to come out and we were anxiously awaiting Beau's Beef Wellington (which I don't have the patience to make) and my Ahi Tuna (which I am too fearful to make). The food was excellent, but his food came with a side of french fries, cold french fries with Beef Wellington - hello weirdness. I am all about the great french fry, it is one of my top five favorite foods, but there is a time and place for everything, and well, that didn't seem to be it.

So, next phase of the dinner, out come the belly dancers. Goodbye hopes of pretentiousness. Another thing about me is belly dancers in restaurants make me very uncomfortable. I am all for the great Greek culture, but not while I am trying to eat a meal and you are standing in front of me, isolated at my table and expecting me to watch you. It just feels akward. Once at a Medditeranean restaurant I couldn't take it anymore so I struck up a conversation with the girl. She was very sweet and it made it a little less bizaare for my sake, but I still don't like it. At this delightful dinner the dancers were encouraging the patrons to dance with them. Hello don't look up from your food. All I can say is it would be a great opportunity to take So You Think You Can Dance? out on the road. Yikes. What can I say, I shouldn't complain, we got dinner and a show.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, sounds like a nice evening. I especially enjoy the belly-dancing part. Not so much for the dancers, but for the image I get in my head picturing Lisa sort of cringing in discomfort! I can see it, probably very close to accurately in my imagination... and it's funny!

    ReplyDelete